List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Support for MNG icons still present?
From:       Greg Day <gregday () ecsis ! net>
Date:       2003-07-21 0:41:27

Hi, I was wondering if the support for MNG (animated on mouseover) icons was
still present in CVS, as I have not been able to make it work.  I know my
libmng library and Qt-mng plugin are working, since other apps use them
(Kopete's 'connecting' animations).

But I remember seeing animated trash/folders/some mimetypes in Konqueror,
KDesktop, and Kicker on some distributions (SuSE and Mandrake).  How does
this work?  From my understanding, it seems all one needs to do is place an
mng of the same basename in the same location as the png, and it will be used
automatically, but this doesn't happen.  It just uses the png.  And I know
the MNG itself is not corrupt, because I can (after scaling it down to 16x16)
use it as one of Kopete's 'connecting' icons.

If I hardcode the .desktop entry to have "Icon=foo.mng" then it only shows the
first frame of the MNG, and doesn't animate it.

Has something changed, or am I going about this all wrong?

I have checked with the icons kcmodule and made sure Animated is checked for
"Panel" and "Desktop" and made double-sure in my kdeglobals that
Animated=true

Greg