List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Privacy Control Center module
From:       "Simon =?iso-8859-15?q?H=FCrlimann?= (IMSEC)"
Date:       2003-06-22 23:46:54

> It would be good to have a standardized call, such as
> reloadConfig(). In case of kdesktop/minicl, thats really simple to
> implement.
Yup, that's the way, I guess. But could take some time to implement it
throughout.

> It would be helpful to have the sensitive information marked in a special
> way. But you would still need to tell the application to reload it's
> configuration, if it is currently running. This makes it hard to automate
> it.
Right, and that's why I think we should provide a nice framework. Means the
Cleaner Module that acts as a nice ui. Then we could implement the DCOP call
and maybe add a .desktop to show a service in a few Apps of our choice. (Does
the service stuff make sense? No idea, actually) We could add a
tab/section/whatever to the 'settings->configure App' Dialog. Using code
already used in the Module.

So we should add support for a policy flag first to the KControl class. If
possible! I just today read in the CVS-Digest about binary compatibility, not
sure if this is affectet. But if so, we have to subclass KControl to
KPolicyControl or so.

Using this new API in some Apps makes showcases to promote it. If we can make
it more or less generic, this would be great. The easier it is to use this
feature, the more it will be used.

To come to an end (and sleep:-) I just would say: build a framework and
promote it and let the developers use it.

I don't know much about P3P, so please comment on that.

Simon

PS: I'm currently busy writing some homework for university, but I'm
interested in this, so maybe I'll find some time later... (days and weeks,
not hours:-(