List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Privacy Control Center module
From:       Ralf Hoelzer <ralf () well ! com>
Date:       2003-06-22 23:14:39

On Monday 23 June 2003 00:26, Simon Hürlimann (IMSEC) wrote:
> Right, there's a lot of apps that have to be touched. But in case 1) and 2)
> you have to add missing DCOP calls anyway, so add an attribute or so to the
> KConfig calls in case should be doable in a reasonable matter.

It still wouldn't solve all the problems. In case of ComboBoxes for example,
only the application itself can change the entries in the box, while its
running. So you will always require a DCOP call to clear it immediately.
It would be good to have a standardized call, such as reloadConfig().
In case of kdesktop/minicl, thats really simple to implement.

> Concerning 3), I don't like the 'shut down/restart' that much. It's to
> close to the windowish 'restart your computer' way. I think the work that
> has to be put into developing the right config-cleaner for every 3)
> program, could instead be spent into telling the author how nice the new
> KConfig cache attribute is:-)

I don't like the application restart either. But its probably avoidable in
most cases anyway if there is a proper dcop call available to trigger a
reload of the configuration.

> I guess we could do something like
>     KConfig::writePrivacyEntry("history", content, "History");
> See the *Privacy* name part and the "History" parameter. *Privacy* means,
> KConfig tells the Cleaner Module somehow (rc file?), that it uses Privacy
> entries. The "History" parm is to differantiante p.e. Cache, History and
> Passwords if an app has different kinds of sensible data on the same
> KConfig instance.

It would be helpful to have the sensitive information marked in a special way.
But you would still need to tell the application to reload it's
configuration, if it is currently running. This makes it hard to automate it.

Ralf