List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Privacy Control Center module
From:       "Simon =?iso-8859-15?q?H=FCrlimann?= (IMSEC)"
Date:       2003-06-22 22:26:41

First of, I like the idea!

> 1) If its a core compontent (which will always be running, such as
> kdesktop), the cleanup should be done through dcop and the missing dcop
> calls need to be added.
>
> 2) If its a central application, such as Konqueror, it should be started,
> in case its not already running. Konqueror could just be preloaded, if its
> not. And the rest is done through dcop and direct removal of the files in
> the cache directory.
>
> 3) If its a different KDE application, it will be shut down if it is
> currently running (after asking for confirmation) and then restarted after
> direct cleanup of the rc file.
>
> > Meybe there should be a way for apps to declare to one central place
> > (KConfig*?) which settings are just cache settings and can be removed. I
> > know this puts a lot of burden on the application developer, and somehow
> > feels clumsy, but I cannot come up with a better way to detect such
> > entries.
>
> Something like that would be great. But it would probably require a lot of
> changes in every application.

Right, there's a lot of apps that have to be touched. But in case 1) and 2)
you have to add missing DCOP calls anyway, so add an attribute or so to the
KConfig calls in case should be doable in a reasonable matter.

Concerning 3), I don't like the 'shut down/restart' that much. It's to close
to the windowish 'restart your computer' way. I think the work that has to be
put into developing the right config-cleaner for every 3) program, could
instead be spent into telling the author how nice the new KConfig cache
attribute is:-)

(Damn, I don't know much about the internal of KConfig and such, I don't know
much about Parts eighter, but I sure learn that stuff...)

I guess we could do something like
    KConfig::writePrivacyEntry("history", content, "History");
See the *Privacy* name part and the "History" parameter. *Privacy* means,
KConfig tells the Cleaner Module somehow (rc file?), that it uses Privacy
entries. The "History" parm is to differantiante p.e. Cache, History and
Passwords if an app has different kinds of sensible data on the same KConfig
instance.

We can show tabs for either each app that uses Privacy or each kind of
sensible data. The DCOP interfaces should take this kind param to it's
CleanPrivacyData(QString kind) method. This should be an Interface. Maybe
such apps could provide a Part Service (ya know what I mean?) with this
interface.

sorry, if I just talked nonsense, as I'm just learning C++ and
Qt/KDE/Parts/DCOP...

Simon