List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Privacy Control Center module
From:       Ralf Hoelzer <ralf () well ! com>
Date:       2003-06-22 21:55:24

On Sunday 22 June 2003 23:32, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> ... as long as the app is running. Otherwise you'll either have to start
> the app to have the dcop interface available (bad idea IMHO once you
> support 20 apps or more), or deal with the config files (good luck,
> especially when applications change their configs between version).

You're right. This is a problem. I guess for now we could do 3 different
things, depending on the type of application:

1) If its a core compontent (which will always be running, such as kdesktop),
the cleanup should be done through dcop and the missing dcop calls need to be
added.

2) If its a central application, such as Konqueror, it should be started, in
case its not already running. Konqueror could just be preloaded, if its not.
And the rest is done through dcop and direct removal of the files in the cache
directory.

3) If its a different KDE application, it will be shut down if it is currently
running (after asking for confirmation) and then restarted after direct
cleanup of the rc file.

> Meybe there should be a way for apps to declare to one central place
> (KConfig*?) which settings are just cache settings and can be removed. I
> know this puts a lot of burden on the application developer, and somehow
> feels clumsy, but I cannot come up with a better way to detect such
> entries.

Something like that would be great. But it would probably require a lot of
changes in every application.

Ralf