List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2003-06-22 18:33:50

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:38:47AM +0200, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:

> Wah, can't your read my mind? ;)

No, I don't read such material.  heh.

> I was thinking of appropriate names for the
> _variables_ (pointing to the both column classes representing each a column).

number and character?

> Never mind, a formal CS background doesn't ensure precise talking as well ;)

My education is in piano.  Strange, huh?

> Unless one isn't colourblind, of course. And one's display is supporting
> colors. I think this should be always kept in mind.

What I said is not exclusive of that.  The use of color I put forth provides
another layer of information, but it's still possible to productively use the
widget without it.  It should always be kept in mind that a user may not be
able to see the color for whatever reason, but that's not a good reason not to
use color.  Just use common sense.

> More I expect adults to use this widget, so what about them? ;)

My point was that using colors is so natural to humans that children will do
it as play - if so, then there's no reason that adults shouldn't extend that
to make the colors do something useful.

--Russell