List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-06-22 1:37:34

Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2003 00:41 schrieb Russell Miller:
> Very nice.  That looks like it will fit the bill nicely.  What is more
> valuable to me is API documentation.  I'll be willing to write that if you
> can tell me where to find the code once the API is stable.
>
> The code being well-commented will be even more helpful in that effort.

Well, to understand my design I am already doing quite much (kdoc/doxygen)
documentation. But to turn it into a useful english (and check if it is
understandable), yes, I guess you can then help me :)

Hey, here is a first job for you :)
How would you call the column with the ASCII view and how the one with the
representation as hexadecimal/decimal/octal/binary? The actual names may be
not that perfect (no, won't tell, I might bias you ;)

> You know what might be an interesting feature - to be able to color the hex
> numbers differently depending on whether they're control characters, ASCII
> characters, etc.  Maybe tint it red for ASCII characters.  That shouldn't
> alter its usefulness for binary files/variables, and should make it much
> easier to keep track of where a string starts or ends.
>
> blue = ascii
> green = control
> red = null ('\0')
> blach = everything else

good idea. Wait - isn't ASCII all the chars from 000d to 127d? I guess you
mean instead all printable (as in isprint() ), right?

By now I followed KHexEdit and printed all non printable bytes as a red dot
(instead of black).

Should be doable. Huh - there will be a heck of configuration. And how
colorfull it might be in the end: bookmarks, selections, value range
markups... :))
Should make use of font styles like bold and italic, too, might help some
people as well.

Okay. Should go to bed now. But it was so pleasing to see other people looking
forward to some work of mine so I had pulled some more emails down when
coming home :)

Friedrich