List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2003-06-21 22:59:46

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 12:52:19PM +0200, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:
> Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 00:45 schrieb Russell Miller:
> As much as I understand: Prepared.
> (what is the meaning of arbitrary in this context? My dictionary didn't help
> me to get a feeling for it.)

In this context, arbitrary means - that it doesn't care which pointer you use,
it can be very large or very small, and even a void *.  It just turns it into
its binary representation.

> Prepared: This should be left to each app IMHO. I made an abstraction layer to
> the data so you can implement this logic yourself. The widget does not buffer
> any data but operates directly on the data supplied by the data layer. So the
> buffering is to be done in your subclass of the layer.

Works for me.

> > 5.  a kpart is nice, but I'd also like to use it as a compile-time widget.
> Both prepared. Not sure about the API of the KPart (and what the KPart should
> do, help please ;)

I don't have much expertise with kparts, so I won't be much help with that,
sorry.

> Has to be handled by the app (or do you expect the widget to scan the data
> over and over?;).  A slot "void updateRange( int index1, int index2);" should
> serve on the widget's side.
>
> Oh wait: Are you thinking not of a data range viewer but a simple one-byte
> edit widget? Hm. Might be usefull, to. Will put this on my TODO list. Should
> be doable. The basics are the same as for the range hex edit. Might be
> already implemented in today's KHexEdit.

I think we may be having communication problems here, but if I understand you -
both.

> > That's just my two cents.
>
> Thanks :)

I have yet another possible request.  Perhaps the ability to call a slot that
forces the widget to focus on the beginning of a range of data, highlighting it,
and the highlighting continuing to the end of the range of data?  I can see
how this could be useful in kbview.  I could have a list view of items in a
strtab section, and as you click on them it highlights that information in the
widget.  But not just strtab, also symbol...

That's not really overly important, though.  Just nice to have.