List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-06-21 9:17:17

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 00:40 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Is there any widget for KDE to edit arbitrary data in hexadecimal mode?

Very soon, I hope :)
I needed one myself, found none suiting my needs, and so I am in the middle of
writing one. Viewing is implemented (see attached screenshot, here as KPart
in Konqueror), editing is in the works. I try to offer at least all the
features found in the widget of KHexEdit, and more (hey, one can even zoom
already ;)

The API will be close to QTextEditor, not at least because both are subclassed
from QScrollView (mainly QTextEditor serves as my template for an editor, I
hope the Trolls know best how to use Qt ;)

> I only found the class CHexViewWidget in kdeutils/khexedit, but
> unfortunately CHexBuffer only seems to work with data coming from files,
> but not with data that already exists in memory in the form of a unsigned
> char* (and has never been in a file).

This has been prepared. There is an abstraction layer to the data buffer to be
displayed/edited so by subclassing that layer one can wok on whatever data he
likes :) The widget itself knows nothing about loading and the like, all it
does is displaying (and editing if not readonly) the data delivered by the
data layer.

I hope that in two or three weeks (huh, never speek about a time frame when
coding) the main work is done. Then I will offer this widget for integration
in KDE. If you would like to have a look I can send you the actual code (no
editing possible ATM!).

Any special needs you have for this widget? Or wishes? Or ideas? Tell me! I
might integrate them ;)

Friedrich

PS: Next will be a hex diff editor. It is already more or less prepared in the
framework.

["he2.png" (image/png)]