List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-06-06 19:54:04

On Friday 06 June 2003 21:11, Petter E. Stokke wrote:
> Bram seems to agree, in his response there, with those of us who think a
> KIOslave doesn't make much sense...

But what's the alternative? That you need to know whether your have a BT or a
regular link before clicking on the file (How could Konqueror display/mark
them?) That users will wonder why one link has a different dialog?  That it
does ignore your settings for the mime type? That you cant drag&drop the file
onto your desktop?
The great thing about KIO is that the user does not have to care. That's why
Iove the idea. I tried the Python client once, but it was too much trouble.
All I want is to click on a link and get the file that I want. As a user I
dont care about the rest.
Developers have a tendency to make people's life more diffcult by showing a
lot of stuff that most people dont care about..

> More importantly, what about seeding? It's not considered good form to end
> your torrent session once the file is complete; how would you propose
> handling a continued upload with the KIO interface? You can't very well
> keep the KIO download dialog open after the download has completed
> without seriously clashing with the KIO paradigm...

You could, by default, let it run in the background for a while without
showing the dialog.

bye...