List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2003-05-28 15:18:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:53 am, Petter E. Stokke wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 16:19, David Bishop wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:08 am, Petter E. Stokke wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 07:07, David Findlay wrote:
> > > I've also been thinking for a while about writing a Qt/KDE based
> > > BitTorrent backend for implementing an application like this. I don't
> > > really feel comfortable with the idea of trying to interface with
> > > Python code in an application as complex as this would have to be.
> >
> > It seems to me this would be a perfect match for the PyQT/KDE bindings.
> > Then you wouldn't be "interfacing" with Python, you'd be *in* Python...
>
> And you'd need to have Python installed, and BitTorrent for Python, and
> let's not forget PyQt... it'd be a mess of dependencies, and very far from
> a clean implementation.

But you need python *for* BitTorrent.  That's what it's written in...  So the
only dependency on top of what you need for BT would be PyQT.  Now that PyQT
ships with Debian, that's not *too* much of a stretch, is it?  (And yes, I
*do* believe that the world centers around debian. Why do you ask?)  Or
rather, saying that writting something in PyQT wouldn't be feasible because
the end result requires PyQT, well, that's kind of circular, isn't it?

> > > I guess what I'm saying is that I'd really like to write something like
> > > this, and wonder about what sorts of ideas people have about what the
> > > ideal BitTorrent application would be like.
> >
> > I agree with pretty much everything you said above.  If you use
> > ed2k/mldonkey, then something along the lines of kmldonkey for bt would
> > be about right.
>
> I'm the lead developer of kmldonkey, so I guess I know what you're getting
> at. :)

I'll take this op. to thank you, then.  In fact, I think I sent you an email a
while ago to say thanks, and kmldonkey has just gotten better since then...
To wander *completely* off-topic, have you considered changing the order of
the tabs in the gui?  I would think that nobody ever looks at the server tab,
going straight for the downloads, but the server tab is what you see,
everytime you open it "new".  </end of OT-rambling>

> In fact, my desire for a good BT client for KDE was born out of my
> increasing frustration with mldonkey's BT implementation and the general
> unwieldiness of the original BT client.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean here.  mldonkey's BT
implementation?  mldonkey does bittorrent?

--
"Sorry about the whole 'bomb' thing" - Bruce Rollins
D.A.Bishop