List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2003-05-28 14:53:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 16:19, David Bishop wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:08 am, Petter E. Stokke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 07:07, David Findlay wrote:
> > I've also been thinking for a while about writing a Qt/KDE based
> > BitTorrent backend for implementing an application like this. I don't
> > really feel comfortable with the idea of trying to interface with Python
> > code in an application as complex as this would have to be.
>
> It seems to me this would be a perfect match for the PyQT/KDE bindings.  Then
> you wouldn't be "interfacing" with Python, you'd be *in* Python...

And you'd need to have Python installed, and BitTorrent for Python, and let's
not forget PyQt... it'd be a mess of dependencies, and very far from a clean
implementation.

> > I guess what I'm saying is that I'd really like to write something like
> > this, and wonder about what sorts of ideas people have about what the
> > ideal BitTorrent application would be like.
>
> I agree with pretty much everything you said above.  If you use ed2k/mldonkey,
> then something along the lines of kmldonkey for bt would be about right.

I'm the lead developer of kmldonkey, so I guess I know what you're getting at. :)

In fact, my desire for a good BT client for KDE was born out of my increasing
frustration with mldonkey's BT implementation and the general unwieldiness
of the original BT client.

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc