List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ui.rc file location
From:       Rob Walker <rob.lists () tenfoot ! org ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-29 16:00:54

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 15:07, Sarang Lakare wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> my application has its ui.rc in the same directory as the application's
> binary. Still, when I run the application from that directory using
> ./myapp, it cannot find the ui.rc file! If I copy it to
> ~/.kde/share/apps/myapp/ then it finds it though.
>
> I thought the current directory was the first place where the application
> should look for its ui.rc file. Am I wrong here?
>
> This is on KDE 3.1 / Mandrake 9.1.
>
> Thanks
> Sarang

The best solution I've found is to install your app to some tempory directory
(eg $HOME/tmp/myapp) and use the KDEDIRS environment variable.
(KDE searches in all the directories listed in KDEDIRS as well as KDEDIR)

eg (from your source tree).

export KDEDIRS=$HOME/tmp/myapp
./configure --prefix=$HOME/tmp/myapp
make
make install # (you don't need to be root for this as you own $HOME/tmp/myapp)
$HOME/tmp/myapp/bin/myapp

and off you go....
the ui file has been installed to $HOME/tmp/myapp/share/apps/myapp
(you might also need to add $HOME/tmp/myapp/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

Hope this helps

Rob

--
Rob Walker <rob@tenfoot.org.uk>