List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror feature bounty to control Flash & Animated GIFs
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-26 21:05:06

On Saturday 26 April 2003 16:30, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> For Flash (and other?) Plugins:
>
> Currently, I uninstall the Flash player because there are so many
> intrusive ads. Periodically I have to reinstall it because a site
> requires it, or because I actually wanted to see a funny Flash movie.
>
> What I would like is the option to put a play button [>] in places
> where Flash exists on a page. The Flash player application would only
> be run when the play button was pressed.
>
> Alternately, perhaps this could be a "Don't start automatically"
> option for every individual type of plugin, so abusive Java and future
> plug-in types can be controlled as well.

   First, Java is handled separately from Netscape plugins in Konqueror.
Second, if you do this for Netscape plugins, I think you have to do it for
all of them, not just flash.  Putting in hacks for just a specific plugin is
not pretty, especially one like this.  Also, how do you deal with other
plugins that can play flash, such as the kpart in kdenonbeta, the mozilla
swfplay plugin, realplayer (yes it plays flash too), and more?  I think it is
all-or-none, and I'm not convinced if this is or is not beneficial to
Konqueror.  It cannot be the default behaviour, and will therefore require
configuration parameters.

  I don't see anything wrong with the animated image issue though.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer					http://www.kde.org/