List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Font size limitation?
From:       <marius () paynet ! no>
Date:       2003-04-26 21:25:00

I'm doing some 3D text animation under Qt/Linux, and have noticed a
strange problem which seems to limit the maximum font size in Qt (and
thereby probably KDE).

In short, if I select a huge font (e.g. pixel size 128 or larger,
typically something which is larger that the sizes offered from the
dropdown boxes), it seems the libraries accept the font size, the font
metrics seems right but Qt (or possibly underlying libraries) render the
font using a smaller type than the metrics seem to indicate.

A have verified that this also happens outside of my own application, e.g.
in KWord (select a font size larger than what is offered in the drop down)
and watch the spacing of characters become messed up (seems like the
character is rendered smaller than the metric indicate).

I have also tested this font rendering using Gimp, and it does not seem to
be a problem there. Gimp is perfectly happy rendering HUGE characters. I
am assuming that Gimp uses the same font rendering engine, which points me
in the direction of problems with Qt/KDE.

So, in short, is this a known limitation in Qt/KDE, or am I the only one
having this problem?

For what it's worth, I'm running an updated Gentoo system (KDE 3.1.1a, Qt
3.1.2, KOffice 1.2).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marius K.