List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konqueror feature bounty to control Flash & Animated GIFs
From:       Brian McGroarty <brian () mcgroarty ! net>
Date:       2003-04-26 20:30:00

I love Konqueror to death, but it shares two problems with all other
graphical browsers: abuse of animated GIFs and Flash. It makes it hard
to read a web page if it's constantly flashing or even singing at you.

If nobody minds, I'd like to offer a bounty of $200 to make these work
less intrusively.

Half of the donation would be for the developer(s), half would be a
KDE general donation. If someone tells me they're starting on these,
I'll make the KDE half of the donation right away with PayPal, and
I'll pay whoever implements them however they prefer. :-)

What I'm after is for this to be put into KDE release code:

For Animated GIFs:

I'd like an option that makes animated GIFs run only while the mouse
is hovering over them. Being able to turn them off or run them just
once is nice, but sometimes you want to see a fun animation without a
lot of extra menu activity.

For Flash (and other?) Plugins:

Currently, I uninstall the Flash player because there are so many
intrusive ads. Periodically I have to reinstall it because a site
requires it, or because I actually wanted to see a funny Flash movie.

What I would like is the option to put a play button [>] in places
where Flash exists on a page. The Flash player application would only
be run when the play button was pressed.

Alternately, perhaps this could be a "Don't start automatically"
option for every individual type of plugin, so abusive Java and future
plug-in types can be controlled as well.

I hope somebody takes me up on this. I know $200 isn't a lot, but I
hope it's enough to show my appreciation. I could have spent the same
to put Windows XP on this machine, but I think KDE has given the
better value. :-)