List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Generating PDF's in kword: font problems
From:       Ferdinand  Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-27 16:23:15

On Monday 27 January 2003 10:21, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 January 2003 14:43, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > The overall problem is that we use QT to do the Postscript output.
> > >
> > > So as long as we cannot control the Postscript output, we cannot change
> > > anything to such problems as yours.
> >
> > Yes I have the same problem, ps is ok, I can print and view it
> > (kghostview), but output directly to pdf or ps2pdf produces bad output.
>
> Did you try to play with the "Driver Settings"  tab in the printer
> properties dialog for the pseudo printer write-to-PDF? There, you
> can tune some options concerning fonts when converting PS to PDF,
> like the PDF font embedding or font resolution.
>
> Michael.
Not yet. But (here I am on KDE 3.1) it would be a trial and error, because I
have no idea why I should do this and if embedding is good or bad or the
reason for the problem.

Can you think of a way to detect the capabilities of the system and set this
features automagicaly?
IMHO tunig in this area is well beyond the scope of a "normal" user.
May be this won't be a problem if the distributors do a nice job.
But some users will upgrade and blame KDE  (as usualy they do not see the
background system)
--
cu ferdinand