List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <lchatburn () isset ! org>
Date:       2003-01-26 13:07:36

Hi...

Just for reference for everyone, I'm working on a control panel
reorganisation, which I'll start posting to the usability mailing list
tonight.

I've seen a lot of suggestions about degrees of control, etc. but I think,
honestly, that is not needed. It makes the entire process more complicated
and it is arbitrary, since a definition of complexity is purely based on the
experience of the developer. The user, coming from a different background,
having, perhaps more experience in fonts than network setup, etc. has a
skewed perception of complexity, and this varies according to the task to be
performed as well.

Sensible organisation and clear help are the best ways forward, not adding
systems for shielding users from functionality.

See what you think of my re-organisation and then let's go from there. We're
talking very little re-coding here, mainly in just moving elements around in
the list and maybe adding some control modules as tabs in others. *There is
no new coding involved*, and I think we can all agree that this is best.

Sorry to jump in like this, but I haven't personally coded control modules,
nor have I taken part in usability discussions, so I feel like I'm treading
on the toes of the usability folks here. I apologise for that and I will
offer a suggestion but no more.

-Luke