List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Notify all networked applications of pending network disconnect?
From:       Volker Augustin <volker.augustin () perfektionismus ! de>
Date:       2003-01-26 12:22:26

> The situation is further exacerbated if you use, for instance, a VPN.
> Your VPN to a remote private network that contains a workgroup mail
> server may go down, while your ethernet interface remains up.
>
> I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply change the relevant
> applications to periodically check if the remote service becomes
> available without prompting you with annoying popup messages.

Huh. Didn't think enough about this issue before...

One way might be that the routing system notifies applications that there
current connections won't be available after the pending change. However,
the routing system will only now about existing connections not connections
like kmail's regular mail check connections. But this should not be an
issue as applications which do not currently have a connection do at least
not need to log out (which is my main concern).
But then you would need a really smart routing system... changing the
default route might still make available the same IP but which could now be
on some private LAN instead of the internet ... doh.

Modifying the applications works for applications with non-permanent
connections but will fail for applications which have a permanent
connection.

Too bad. So I guess this will never work.

Volker