List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts and Loading Time
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-12-18 15:31:05

Hi,

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 13:24, Grant Bartlett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed a pile of True Type fonts on my linux box which I
> can use now ( from http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3622 ).
>
> The number of fonts is in the hundred or so.
>
> The problem I am experiening now is that the loading of most KDE apps
> takes an _unbelievable_ amount of time @ 100% CPU usage, and after a bit
> of playing around it seems to relate to the number of fonts.
>
> Surely this is a bug? What's happening every time a KDE application
> boots? The font list being regenerated or something. Is this a Qt issues
> and/or being addressed?

If you use Xft, fonts are loaded by the client side. Usually, they use a cache
file for the installed fonts for lookup. But you have to regenerate the cache
(e.g. with fontconfig: "ft-cache -v" as root) after installing fonts.
Perhaps if there's no cache (and no write permission to create a cache file in
the dir of the fonts for the client application), each application has to
load all the truetype fonts itself?

Josef