List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts and Loading Time
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-18 16:59:02

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 15:24, Grant Bartlett wrote:
|  Hello,
|
|  I recently installed a pile of True Type fonts on my linux box which I
|  can use now ( from http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3622 ).

It may be good idea to use PostScript Type1 fonts instead, they are smaller in
size and rendered better (in most cases, supposing that you have stock
FreeType without TT ByteCode interpreter compiled "in")
I think they are also rendered *faster*, as number of nodes (in outlines) is
smaller.

|  The number of fonts is in the hundred or so.
|
|  The problem I am experiening now is that the loading of most KDE apps
|  takes an _unbelievable_ amount of time @ 100% CPU usage, and after a bit
|  of playing around it seems to relate to the number of fonts.

Which version of XFree86/Qt/KDE?

I can recommend you XFree86-4.2.99/Qt-3.1/KDE-3.1 (compiled with FontConfig
support).
Konqueror starts faster comparing to KDE 3.0.x (Qt-3.0.5) series, difference
is *visible*.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released