List:       kde-devel
Subject:    More kdebase make errors - ksysgaurd & strlcpy
From:       JW <jw () centraltexasit ! com>
Date:       2002-12-12 8:11:03

Ok, I feel a little stupid posting about this again. But I don't know where
else to ask for help.

Perhaps my first question should be: when I am trying to compile something
like kdelibs and kdebase, and make breaks down repeatedly at some particular
point, what is the proper course of action? Should I try to find out who the
maintainer of some particular componet is and email them? Should I mail the
list? Should I stop trying and buzz off?

This is my first serious attempt at compiling KDE, and actually what I am
trying to compile is KMail, which needs at least kdelibs and kdebase (and
thus arts, kde-common). For 3 or 4 days now kdebase has failed to compile.
First it was something with Konqueror, then kdoctools, and tonight ksysgaurd
(which I really don't need AFAIK). Is this normal? While I fully expect HEAD
to be unstable, even very unstable at times, does it _never_ compile?

Am I wrong in trying to compile all of kdebase - should I be doing one
component at a time?

Is there a way to temporarily skip something, for example, since ksysgarud is
giving me fits and I don't need it, can I compile all of kdebase except
ksysgaurd?

Another thing: it supprises me how long kdebase has been in a non-compilable
state. The kdoctools problem existed for more than 24 hours, I think. All day
at least. I sort of assume there are developers all over the world compiling
this stuff all the time... so I wouldn't think that something like kdebase
would be broken very long. Is that a bad assumption? ksysgaurd has been "bad"
for at least 6 hours.

Anyway, I just want some clarification about what to do when something such as
kdebase won't compile for a long time. According to my estimate kdebase has
been in a "broken" state for 3 days - who knows how long it was since the
last time it was 100% ok. I thought it was a KDE policy that cvs must always
compile, or as close to always as reasonably possible (a Kopete developer
told me this)? 3 days seems a little longer than reasonable. Not that I have
any right to define what's reasonable :-)

For the record, the curent problem is:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -ansi -W -Wall -pedantic
- -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings
- -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2   -D_GNU_SOURCE   -o
ksysguardd -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/qt-copy/lib
- -L/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/lib  Command.o conf.o ksysguardd.o
PWUIDCache.o ../../ksysguard/ksysguardd/Linux/libksysguardd.a
../CContLib/libccont.a -lkdefakes -lsensors
../../ksysguard/ksysguardd/Linux/libksysguardd.a(netdev.o): In function
`initNetDev':
netdev.o(.text+0x77a): undefined reference to `strlcpy'
../../ksysguard/ksysguardd/Linux/libksysguardd.a(diskstat.o): In function
`updateDiskStat':
diskstat.o(.text+0x413): undefined reference to `strlcpy'
diskstat.o(.text+0x454): undefined reference to `strlcpy'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [ksysguardd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/data4/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/kdebase/ksysguard/ksysguardd'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/data4/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/kdebase/ksysguard/ksysguardd'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/data4/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/kdebase/ksysguard'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/data4/work/build/cvs_trees/kde3.1/kdebase'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Perhaps this is related to the other problems with strlcpy previously reported
by others.

If there's any way to just skip ksysgaurd that would be fine with me.

Sorry for the pessimistic message, but it's discouraging to try something for
3 or 4 days still not have it working - and not know what to do about it
either.
- --

Jonathan Wilson
Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com