List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: strange backtrace, crashing in qt
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2002-12-12 10:55:30

Hi,

 Haven't debugged your code yet, as I couldn't compile due to a compile error,
but looking at your code, I have a suggestion: delay the calling for
slotFileOpen in main with a QTimer::singleShot and avoid any operation in the
Bookcase constructor (and of course the methods called from it) which may
require a running event loop, like displaying a dialog box. The best is to
delay the whole initialiaztion with a single shot timer. Of course you must
avoid to not call the slotFileOpen before your internals are properly
initalized. So my concrete suggestion is:
- move the whole init work in a new public method of Bookcase (let's call
initEveything)
- subclass KApplication (KMyApp)
	- in this class, create your mainwindow (new Bookcase) and call in a delayed
way another method (KMyApp::slotInit)
   	- in KMyApp::slotInit, call the Bookcase::initEvrything and the parsing of
arguments + slotFileOpen
- in main do the following:
	KApplication *app = new KMyApp;
	return app->exec();

I'm pretty sure that this will help you, altough it is weird that you don't
see the crash. If it does not help, put traces, debug and so.... Find the
exact location of crash...

Andras

On 2002. December 12., Thursday 06:40, Robby Stephenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a program I use for my book collection, called Bookcase,
> available at http://www.periapsis.org/bookcase/ I've had a couple users
> report crashes immediately upon application startup, and they've been kind
> enough to send me backtraces.
>
> The problem is that it seems to be crashing somewhere within qt's internals
> since nothing in the backtrace references bookcase or kde. I was wondering
> if anyone has seen this before and more importantly, if you have any
> suggestion about how to fix it. I hesitate to start thinking it's a qt bug
> without further evidence.
>
> As far as I know, it's a fairly 'normal' app, made from the kdevelop
> template for the most part. I don't understand backtraces all that well,
> and this really has me puzzled. Everything runs fine on my Mandrake 9.0
> box, so can't reproduce it. Oh, and it's a KDE3 app.
>
> Thanks,
> Robby
[...]