List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Andrew <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-12-08 2:43:47

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:23 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> And yes it is 'broken' because it only works with KDE applications.

???

Thats not really fair James. After all we are running the K Desktop
Environment so something can't be broken just because it only works with kde
applications.
Linux has no provision for a default document folder. KDE applications are a
bit more advanced and do have such a provision, that does not make them
broken it just makes them kde applications.

I haven't tried it yet James but I wonder if exporting the PWD variable
pointing to the documents folder rather than $HOME will cause legacy apps to
default to the Documents folder as well. In much the way that you demonstated
that legacy apps will load/save from the dir in which they were started. I
presume the shell that all kde commandline (alt-f2 etc) start with is the
home/bashrc one and that there is where the change needs to be done but I am
not sure (especially if startkde is a login script)  It may be worth looking
at though.

--
Regards,
andrew