List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A case for sharing Desktop and home directory - summary
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-12-03 18:50:49

> Hm, signs of a poor debator.
s/debator/debatant/g.  Don't shoot the messenger.

> They'll crab at me then, ever thought about that? I really don't want to read
> tons of Bugzilla reports saying that I've mucked the system up by adding this
> kind of change.
If you have 3 users, alright, you can handle the workload.  If you have
5000 users and fear that the bug reports from $HOME=desktop will be
larger than the bug reports from "I can't find my file in the desktop;
yes madam, it's in the home directory instead", then
mkdir /etc/skel/Desktop ; for a in $HOME/* ; do mkdir $a/Desktop; done.

My point stands.  It isn't your clutter.  They have as much chance to
clutter their desktop as to their homedir.  Let's help them clutter as
few places as possible.

Furthermore, you beat up all possible courses of action.  You didn't
even take the time to read that just by HAVING a Desktop dir, you
automatically should get a Desktop different than $HOME.  You are so
lazy and think others are, that just because you won't:
      * create a Desktop dir then relogin (see end of e-mail)
or    * change your desktop location via KControl
or    * arrange your clutter in a "Junk to sort" subfolder
or    * live with the clutter (Yay!)
you feel the proposal is utter shit.  What advantages do you feel having
a separate desktop has?  Being able to tug away the mess?  Is that an
usability advantage?  Or is it just a workaround for stupid apps?  Why
not fix the apps?

The option to complain to KDE developers and say they're braindead was
evidently a hidden joke.

Look, most of your e-mail's reply is either insulting or beating the
idea up with no sound facts.  You don't like it.  Say you don't.  That's
fine.  I won't even take the time to reply to your comments - your reply
is IMO finely responded to by simply reading the summary I wrote.

I'm tired of having to work around braindead apps in each case.

Proposal stands, and it ensures minimal impact in existing user
scenarios. Period.