List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Gary Greene <rei () tabris ! net>
Date:       2002-12-03 18:48:33

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 01:31 pm, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > peroidically, I blow away my .kde dir to see the changes that have come
> > down the pipe. If this change got adopted, I'd be the one UNDOING it in
> > the packaging phase of KDE for Sentinel Linux, meaning more work for me
> > (yeah :| ).
>
> Read the summary.  A sensible and easy fix for this problem is suggested
> there.
>
> > Remember people companies, like Microsoft and Apple, have spent a great
> > deal of money on their usability studies, why not pay attention to them
> > instead of breaking them.
>
> Because they are wrong.  The desktop metaphor is dead:
> http://escience.anu.edu.au/lecture/ivr/exercises/a1/02IVRA1
> U3609021/Metaphors/Mixed%20Metaphores.htm "User gut feelings must be
> respected".  That isn't "expert" users which have a trained gut feeling,
> but "newbie" users which have a pure gut feeling.

[ snip unheard of lecturers ]

Understand Manuel, they're selling millions of copies, WE AREN'T. Because of
that we need to cater those who are used to M$ and Apple layouts. To fly in
the face of this would be ludicrous for developers to wast there time on,
when we've got a number of other things that need created, like KControl
modules for configuring a network, or even KDE ACL supports.

> This "Desktop" metaphor we're adhering to, is limiting us.  [Gentner and
> Nielsen 1996, Halasz and Moran 1981, Johnson et al 1985].

I fail to see how it limits us.

- --
Gary Greene

Sent from seele.gvsu.edu
 13:40:42  up 10 days, 12:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.22, 0.23

Founder and president of GVLUG.
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux 2003 OS Project (KOMODO)
Chairman and Project Lead of the E-media Committee of AltReal.
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : rei@tabris.net
        greeneg@student.gvsu.edu

- --Developing a emotion daemon for the Human OS

Here's the error:

#mounting local filesystems....................................[     OK     ]
#Virtual Human Brain Driver v0.0.5 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W fs module
#Virtual Nerve Node Driver v0.4.1 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W FS module
#Insmod Adaptive Technology Device module......................[     OK     ]
#Writing Sync state to Journalled VHBFS........................[     OK     ]
Segmentation Fault:sending signal 11 SegEV