List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tab-Close button like in mozilla
From:       "Troy Corbin Jr." <tcorbin () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-11-05 23:37:44

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 04:18 pm, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 22:32, Troy Corbin Jr. wrote:
> > I've been working on a similar widget set, though it does use the current
> > QTabWidget:
> >
> > http://knights.sourceforge.net/shots/ss06.jpg
> >
> > It uses the 'Close' icon from the user's selected icon set for a
> > consistent look. It also includes a "Grip" which the user can drag to
> > organize the tabs into different top-level window. ( ie. Dragging a tab
> > onto another tab
>
> Isn't it possible to put this into the upper part of the tab? That's where
> I'd expect such functionality.

Not withough rewriting QTabWidget, which I felt was more work than it was
worth ( as far as my project is concerned ).

And although it's not an optimal use of screen real-estate, I don't think the
Grip or Close Button's location would be confusing for users. In fact,
placing the Close Button on the tab with the Title means that the user must
take care not to accidentally press the Close Button when they go to select a
tab. You might laugh at this notion, but remember that some of our users have
disabilities, and therefore can't control the mouse as well as you or I.

I also like the idea that the Close Button is on the far right of the window.
Users expect that.
--
Troy Corbin Jr.
tcorbin@users.sf.net