List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KApplicationServer?
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-08-25 17:21:23

On Sunday 25 August 2002 18:52, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Each app controls up to x "windows" (read documents/files/...) in a
> process. For some further "windows" a new process is started. This way
> the amount of lost "windows" is bordered.

If I start Konqui processes, I want to "isolate" things. For example a process
for unknown sites, or a separate process for KDocs.

> To ask more precisely:
> What is faster, starting a new executable or forking a already running
> instance? After a fork I expect all the data of the forked process have
> to be resetted to get the state of a fresh started app, right?

Forking is much faster. The kernel just copies the page entries for the new
process (memory will only be copied when one of the processes writes). All
file descriptors will be shared. But this is what makes it so difficult: you
dont want the processes to share file descriptors. Or the X11 connection. Or
the DCOP handle.
It is probably possible to solve these problems, but it is so much work that
you better wait for glibc 2.3 which will hopefully solve the linking problem
in a clean way. The time for loading and relinking an application with its
shared libs should be negligible then...

bye..