List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Reducing application start-up time to almost zero
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-08-18 4:37:35

Hi!

I've written a small utility to reduce application start-up time to be nearly
zero. (Actually I derived it from kstart)

You can get it here:

http://roland.seuhs.com/kwick.tar.gz
A simple "make" should do the trick.

The utility starts applications on an (in the final version invisible) desktop
and moves these applications to the current desktop when needed (which is
almost instantaneous). It then starts another instance on the hidden desktop
again. (currently desktop 16 is used for debugging purposes)

Usage: kwick <command>

Currently, kwick only caches apps when loaded, so the first start will not be
instanteneous, but all subsequent starts (with the same command-string) will
be.

Problems/Limitations:

1. I use the same mechanism as kstart to start the apps on the hidden desktop,
which causes a) an annoying flicker and b) and even more annoying loss of
focus. ksmserver uses a mechanism without these annoyances to restore the
session, but I couldn't figure that mechanism out, maybe somebody can help me
on this. If this issue isn't solved, this utility won't be of any real use.

2. ksmserver may restore cached windows. I'm not sure what ksmserver does with
windows on hidden desktops, though.

Planned features:

- Smart memory detection (cache apps only if enough RAM is available)
- Cache more than one instance of certain apps
- configure apps which are cached at startup
- GUI for configuration

Please tell me what you think.

Roland

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
                -- Weisert