Hi! I've written a small utility to reduce application start-up time to be ne= arly=20 zero. (Actually I derived it from kstart) You can get it here: http://roland.seuhs.com/kwick.tar.gz A simple "make" should do the trick. The utility starts applications on an (in the final version invisible) de= sktop=20 and moves these applications to the current desktop when needed (which is= =20 almost instantaneous). It then starts another instance on the hidden desk= top=20 again. (currently desktop 16 is used for debugging purposes) Usage: kwick Currently, kwick only caches apps when loaded, so the first start will no= t be=20 instanteneous, but all subsequent starts (with the same command-string) w= ill=20 be. Problems/Limitations: 1. I use the same mechanism as kstart to start the apps on the hidden des= ktop,=20 which causes a) an annoying flicker and b) and even more annoying loss of= =20 focus. ksmserver uses a mechanism without these annoyances to restore the= =20 session, but I couldn't figure that mechanism out, maybe somebody can hel= p me=20 on this. If this issue isn't solved, this utility won't be of any real us= e. 2. ksmserver may restore cached windows. I'm not sure what ksmserver does= with=20 windows on hidden desktops, though. Planned features: - Smart memory detection (cache apps only if enough RAM is available) - Cache more than one instance of certain apps - configure apps which are cached at startup - GUI for configuration Please tell me what you think. Roland --=20 As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error. -- Weisert >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<