List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole and ctrl-s / ctrl-q keys
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-20 23:34:29

On Sunday 21 July 2002 01:56, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Sunday 21 July 2002 00:30, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the last few days, whenever I try to press ctrl-s to pause the
> > scrolling - I get ^S instead of a real pause. trying with the
> > "scroll lock" key seems to work, but I'm really used to work with
> > ctrl-s and ctrl-q..
> >
> > Has that been changed lately? if so, why?
>
> I seem to remember such a commit, yes, but not using HEAD I can't
> confirm.

Seems to have been changed by Waldo, 10 days ago.

> I'm used to ctrl-s/q myself too, but many people file bug reports
> about Konsole 'freezing' on ctrl-s ('save file'). I guess this one
> needs a config option (if not there already) and be user-safe by
> default.

For me, this would be a major usability issue. Like many, I rely on
^S/^Q to control the flow on my shell sessions. It's pretty much the
standard way to control the flow in most shells, and I would guess it
was there before the Scroll Lock key was even thought about. If there's
a need for this to be disabled, then I agree that we need some option
to toggle it for those (like me) who need this functionality.

Having said that, I've not looked closely at the changes Waldo made to
see if he as implemented such an option.

A.

--
Andy Fawcett      |   "In an open world without walls and fences,
andy@athame.co.uk |      we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."