List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fundamental KDE Library Problem..
From:       Matthew Tedder <matthew () tedder ! com>
Date:       2002-07-03 18:56:22

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 08:48 am, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > I usually have a fair bit of respect for what you have to say but this
> > time your standards are slipping.
> >
> > Please tell me... What's your point??? How things have been done in the
> > past is no justification for continuing in the same way.
> >
> > I said a well defined process and a solid design that is done before
> > coding would be beneficial. I also tried to point out advantages.
>
> Implementing this process that you refer to by hand is tedious and nobody
> (kde developers) can afford to have a secretary just to shuffle API's and
> keep track of those things by hand. So, manual approach is a no-no here.
>
> I assume that all kde developers are more than willing to implement the
> process you propose as long as you either write the tools (good luck), or
> provide each willing kde developer with $10k for the tools needed.

Frankly, I think there is just as much to be said for bottom-up design as
there is for the stuff we were taught in software engineering.  It's just
that conservative CIS researchers are too arrogant to accept something that
doesn't give them perfect authoritarian control of software design.

It's much like the failure of so-called "Communist" regimes around the world.
They thought they could plan an entire economy from the top-down.

In school I learned to do things that way, but in reality I learned the value
of other methods that no school seems willing to accept:  Top-Down software
engineer is great for designing a framework, but Bottom-Up work were
authority is delegated to individuals to make their own design decisions so
long as they fit into that framework is far better than a pure-top-down or
pure-bottom-up methodology.  Add other aspects of OSS to this freedom such as
diversity and survival of the fittest and it gets even better.

KDE is one of those rare instances that a well-planned framework was designed
in an OSS environment.  The GNOMErs still don't get it.  Most GNOME apps are
just GTK+ apps with the GNOME label stuck on them.

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.