List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTL and KDE vs. QT
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-07-02 11:56:21

Hi,

Well, they only use Qt widgets, that's why.
kwrite and konsole on the other hand are doing their own text layouting,
that's why they break. I think konsole could be fixable without too many
problems, while kwrite is a major headache (I looked into the code and fixing
it won't be trivial).

> > > Mostly Qt. But KDE apps which implement their own text layout stuff
> > > need to reimplement/reuse Qt's mechanism.
> >
> > Do KDE developers know this from a 'written' source? Is there any manual
> > out there in this regard?
>
> I'm afraid not.
> All of this comes from Lars' knowledge. Reading the sources for QRichText
> are the only way I know to extract this knowledge. I think I can answer a
> few questions on how it should work, now, though.

That's more or less true. On the other hand, if application developers use Qt
text input widgets (as QLineEdit and QTextEdit), they shouldn't run into any
trouble. As KLineEdit and KEditCtl derive from these, they work aswell.

The only big problems I can see at the moment are IMO konsole and kwrite, as
they do text layouting on their own.

Cheers,
Lars