List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTL and KDE vs. QT
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-07-02 11:59:28

> On Saturday 29 June 2002 10:26, David Faure wrote:
> > A few quirks remain, but on the whole I believe it's quite good.
> > (Try CVS or koffice-1.2-beta2)
>
> Hi David,
>
> I am attaching a snapshot from KWord 1.1.1 in KDE 3.0.0. You will see that
> the cursor is standing far away from the Farsi strings. And this distance
> grows more, the more you type. This is not the case with Hebrew for
> example. There is also a problem with the flow of the cursor over the text
> when mixed with LTR strings. So it is very difficult to add and remove
> spaces/characters when working with more than one language.

Maybe a wrong QFontMetrics::width() call causes these problems. For all width
calculations, you will need to use QFontMetrics::charWidth, or (if looking at
whole strings QFontMetrics::width( const QString & ). QFontMetrics::width(
QChar ) will break for arabic due to the shaping engine changing the shape
(and thereby also width) of the character.