List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensavers
From:       ian reinhart geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-29 4:16:19

On Friday 28 June 2002 11:22 pm, Karl Robillard wrote:
> > > What is the status of KDE screensavers?
> > > It seems like the same few boring savers have been part of KDE for
> > > years. Is there some reason that no one writes KDE screensavers?
> >
> > Because instead, they all write xscreensaver modules that work on all
> > platforms and with all desktop frameworks?
>
> Wow, I *never* expected you to say that! *grin*

Actually its because no-one ever saw how much easier it was to write KDE
screen savers, I tried to write a screensaver for XScreensaver... after 2
hours of futzing the the API i just used KScreensaver...  2hours later I had
KFountain working.  :)  For the record screensavers for KDE run perfectly
with blackbox :)  In the end I suppose it is all in the taste of the coder.

> > But from a more practical standpoint: I maintain xscreensaver.
> > Who maintains the KDE reimplementation of it?  I suspect "nobody."
>
> I'm hoping someone on this list will confirm or deny that.

I am thinking from the state of disrepair they have not been maintained by one
person for some time.

> > Well it seems obvious to me that duplication of effort is bad.
> > If you don't understand why, I doubt I could explain it.
>
> Duplication of effort means very little.  Just look at all the widget sets,
> desktop projects, operating systems, word processors, chat clients, etc,
> etc. There will always be those who want to do things their own way.  And
> that, I think, is a good thing.  I thought there were some technical issues
> in the current KDE implementation that you could spell out.

Actually since KDE screensavers integrate better with KDE they are a better
way to do things under KDE.  Especially for those of us who dont have GTK
installed on our systems.

> > I don't know what Red Hat shipped with 7.3, but I think something
> > went wrong on your system.
>
> No, nothing wrong except that its version 3.33.
>
> > And custom dialogs are defined (in XML) for every one of the 140+ modes.
>
> Hrm.. I find XML too bloated for my taste.  I prefer to use a REBOL-like
> data format for my own applications.  But I understand your choice as it is
> a good way to avoid the dreaded 'duplication of effort'.  HeHe.
>
> > It's clear to me that instead, you should make them work with
> > xscreensaver proper, and send them to me.  If they're any good, I'll
> > include them in the next xscreensaver release.
>
> Depending upon what I learn here and if I can't get KScreenSaver/QGLWidget
> to work, I may just have to do that.

I have heard reports that certain video cards had issues with QT OpenGL.  What
hard are you using?  Also what version of KDE are you using? I am using KDE
CVS HEAD and I just tested every screensaver on KDE and BlackBox, they all
work.

Also could you send me your code?  Maby extra eyes could see something you are
missing?

- -ian reinhart geiser