List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensavers
From:       Karl Robillard <karl-robillard () cox ! net>
Date:       2002-06-29 3:22:16

> > What is the status of KDE screensavers?
> > It seems like the same few boring savers have been part of KDE for years.
> > Is there some reason that no one writes KDE screensavers?
>
> Because instead, they all write xscreensaver modules that work on all
> platforms and with all desktop frameworks?

Wow, I *never* expected you to say that! *grin*

> But from a more practical standpoint: I maintain xscreensaver.
> Who maintains the KDE reimplementation of it?  I suspect "nobody."

I'm hoping someone on this list will confirm or deny that.

> Well it seems obvious to me that duplication of effort is bad.
> If you don't understand why, I doubt I could explain it.

Duplication of effort means very little.  Just look at all the widget sets,
desktop projects, operating systems, word processors, chat clients, etc, etc.
There will always be those who want to do things their own way.  And that, I
think, is a good thing.  I thought there were some technical issues in the
current KDE implementation that you could spell out.

> I don't know what Red Hat shipped with 7.3, but I think something
> went wrong on your system.

No, nothing wrong except that its version 3.33.

> And custom dialogs are defined (in XML) for every one of the 140+ modes.

Hrm.. I find XML too bloated for my taste.  I prefer to use a REBOL-like data
format for my own applications.  But I understand your choice as it is a good
way to avoid the dreaded 'duplication of effort'.  HeHe.

> It's clear to me that instead, you should make them work with
> xscreensaver proper, and send them to me.  If they're any good, I'll
> include them in the next xscreensaver release.

Depending upon what I learn here and if I can't get KScreenSaver/QGLWidget to
work, I may just have to do that.

Cheers,
-Karl