List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie developer question
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2002-06-28 17:24:37

On Freitag, 28. Juni 2002 17:00, Bob Moore wrote:
> I've been developing for quite some time, and would
> like to get involved in KDE development.  I've done
> some poking around on this mailing list, and the
> kdevelop website, and have a general understanding of
> how to get started if I develop in C++.
>
> What I would *really* like to do, however, is program
> in a language I already know.  I tried to do a little
> bit of C++ development in the past, but the language
> never really made sense to me.  I've done a decent
> amount of C coding, as well as PHP, Perl, and some
> Java, and those languages seem much more intuitive to
> me than does C++.  Unfortuantely, all KDE/Qt tutorials
> I see are based on C++.
>
> Are there any good references for developing KDE/Qt
> apps in other languages, or should I just give up and
> deal with learning C++?

well, this really turns out to be the best conclusion,
as there are kde-bindings for other languages like c or java,
but I never saw a tutorial/example on how to get started with these.
I for myself, have recently begun learning c++ programming for kde,
my background before was pure c, php, perl - as yours.
right now, I'm far from beeing a c++ expert (or even somehow
experienced), but I can confirm that it is not that complicated,
once you got the main princip.
and you will find many things to be much easier than before, with proper
designed classes.

best way to get started is IMHO
1st	- 	look at the various tutorials
2nd	-	take some of the less complicated 'real world' apps from apps.kde.com
3rd	-	use a recent version of kdevelop, this simplifies many things a lot

good luck
werner