List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GCC-3.1 and prelink?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2002-05-22 5:42:23

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 20:53, Emond Papegaaij wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 00:23, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Monday 20 May 2002 23:21, Emond Papegaaij wrote:
>
> <snip prelink problem with non-PIC code>
>
> >  Are you sure you disabled Xinerama (because it AFAIK has to be
> > explicitly disabled)? Ldd won't tell you if you compiled against a static
> > library. Also, I can see neither libXft nebo libfreetype in the libraries
> > list. If you use antialiasing, check that you haven't compiled against
> > such static libraries too (check carefully the command linking the
> > libqt-mt.so binary).

[snip]

> And it is fast! Most apps load in just over 1 sec now. And from kdestart
> (from within a xterm, no window manager loaded) till the desktop took only
> a few seconds. However I'm wondering if I still need kdeinit. I don't think
> it will save me startup time, but memory maybe?

 Kdeinit definitely won't help with startup time with prelink, even if
dlopening prelinked libs wouldn't need relocations, which I doubt.

 Memory ... I'm not sure about the present status, but in the future kdeinit
shouldn't help either, because with prelink there should be almost no
relocations, thus no writes and no copy-on-write page duplications. Right now
there will be still many conflicts. and thereforce there will be still page
duplications (see http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/en/linking2 - 4. is already
fixed, but 3. is not yet).

 So kdeinit right now may or may not help depending on how many relocations
there are during dlopening compared to relocations of conflicts (I should
rather talk about memory pages affected by relocations). But in the future it
can be dropped for prelink capable platforms.

 You could actually try it, with the change Waldo wrote, and tell us. A good
way to compare the difference should be to compare SIZE-SHARE in top.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org