List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GCC-3.1 and prelink?
From:       Emond Papegaaij <e.papegaaij () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2002-05-23 9:57:15

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 21:06, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 11:53 am, Emond Papegaaij wrote:
> > And it is fast! Most apps load in just over 1 sec now. And from kdestart
> > (from within a xterm, no window manager loaded) till the desktop took
> > only a few seconds. However I'm wondering if I still need kdeinit. I
> > don't think it will save me startup time, but memory maybe?
>
> Try it out.. in front of line 466 in kinit.cpp
> if ( !libpath.isEmpty()) )
> add:
>
> if (!execpath.isEmpty())
>    libpath = QString::null;

Sorry it took me so long. I had to recompile kde from scratch. I've tried your
patch, but it doesn't work. libpath is a QCString. QCString doesn't have a
::null field, so I changed it to libpath = QCString() (According to the
qt-docs, this should create a null string). However with this change, kde
doesn't start. I get this error:

ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 17217, errno = 29
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
DCOPServer up and running.
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused

I've compiled with --disable-debug, so I hope this is enough. The startup
stops after a few seconds, sometimes it gets to "initializing peripherals"
and sometime it makes it to "starting window manager". After this error,
there are only a few processes running (dcop-server, kded and ksplash). So it
seems like kdeinit takes all processes with it when it exits.

Without the change to kinit.cpp is starts fine (except that my session is not
restored, something wrong with SM?).

BTW, I'm using CVS-head from arround 21/05/02 22:00, and gcc-3.0.4 as
compiler.

Regards,
Emond Papegaaij