List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-04-29 20:09:08

On piątek 26 kwiecień 2002 07:26 pm, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 27 April 2002 00:03, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > Doesn't /proc/usb provide yet enough info to manage multi-functional
> > devices?
>
> No, because it doesnt tell you the devfs name or major/minor number that
> the drivers use for the devices.

Uh, you're right. Hmm, looking at the sources this seems to be an easy hack. I
will give it a shot the coming weekend and if the patches come up useable,
you'll be my first beta-tester ;-). This would be a 2.4.x tree patch,
obviously, and hopefully something that doesn't destabilize things. Anyway,
knowing how things are on the LKML, this wouldn't get introduced into 2.4.x
until I would cheer up my wife to the idea of having two newborn kids in
coming 24 months and actually getting them delivered, meaning: never
;-]]]]]]]

I wonder whether the 2.5.x USB stuff (I am a definite development-kernel
chicken and so far I haven't had guts to use them) solves that.

[...]

> And BTW /proc/usb would only help with USB devices. There are, for example,
> Firewire-based hotpluggable webcams.

I'm clueless about firewire :-(

Cheers,
Kuba