List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-04-29 21:14:24

On Monday 29 April 2002 22:09, Kuba Ober wrote:
> Uh, you're right. Hmm, looking at the sources this seems to be an easy
> hack. I will give it a shot the coming weekend and if the patches come up
> useable, you'll be my first beta-tester ;-). This would be a 2.4.x tree

Actually I wrote a patch like this for early 2.4 kernel. It registers the
devfs names for all devices and assigns stable device ids. You can find it
here: http://www.tjansen.de/devreg

> Anyway, knowing how things are on the LKML, this wouldn't get introduced
> into 2.4.x until I would cheer up my wife to the idea of having two newborn
> kids in coming 24 months and actually getting them delivered, meaning:
> never ;-]]]]]]]

Unlikely, because it would be hard to make this compatible with 2.5.

> I wonder whether the 2.5.x USB stuff (I am a definite development-kernel
> chicken and so far I haven't had guts to use them) solves that.

Not the USB stuff, but the new device model could solve that. AFAIK it doesn't
contain device ids yet, but I haven't looked at the development kernel for a
few months.

> > And BTW /proc/usb would only help with USB devices. There are, for
> > example, Firewire-based hotpluggable webcams.
> I'm clueless about firewire :-(

You have the same problems with PCMCIA/PC Cards, Hotplug PCI, SCSI...

bye...