List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-04-26 23:26:31

On Saturday 27 April 2002 00:03, Kuba Ober wrote:
> Doesn't /proc/usb provide yet enough info to manage multi-functional
> devices?

No, because it doesnt tell you the devfs name or major/minor number that the
drivers use for the devices.
As an example, I have three /dev/dsp audio devices: my PCI sound card (which
is always /dev/dsp0), a USB webcam with build-in microphone and a USB
headset. If I plug in the webcam it will get /dev/dsp1,  and then connect the
headset later so it will get /dev/dsp2. But if I connect the headset first it
will be /dev/dsp1 and the webcam will be /dev/dsp2. There is no way to find
out which of the /dev/dsp files belongs to the webcam's /dev/video device.
Even if I boot with webcam and headset connected the order depends on the hub
and the port I plug them in, so you need to remember that.

And BTW /proc/usb would only help with USB devices. There are, for example,
Firewire-based hotpluggable webcams.

bye...