List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knotify question
From:       "Manuel Amador \(Rudd-O\)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-04-24 14:56:10

Sarang Lakare wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 April 2002 5:29 pm, Richard Moore wrote:
>
>>I don't think there's another solution.
>>
>How about a timeout for the displayed messages so that the message will remain
>on the screen for say 10 seconds?
>
>The best solution for notification I feel would be: an icon in the system tray
>which will change when an email comes and shows a passive popup with a
>message. This will be similar to kbiff etc. But the main difference will be
>that this will notify when kmail fetches new emails (and will be a part of
>KMail, not a seperate application). The main problem with kbiff and others is
>that they just tell when tehre is mail on server. They do not tell when kmail
>fetched them!
>
>Sarang

This is a good idea, and could be generalized.  I don't know if I have
already exposed this, but both system messages (that appear in a big
horrible white box) such as wall notices, and user messages from
applications such as ARTS, should NOT pop up dialog boxes because users
HATE to be stolen their focus.  Please, pretty please, consider
designing a notification icon a la MSN messenger that displays messages
in a floating window.  I really hate having the wite box appear (very
unelegant) and the focus stolen by informational messages that don't
belong in the statusbar of an app but don't belong in a dialog box either.

This solution would enable message display of "The system detected your
new USB Visor connected.  You can now use your favorite program on it"
with maybe rich-text and hyperlinks embedded on the notify floating
window.  Also, the dreaded "power is lost.  The system will shut down in
20 minutes" wouldn't interrupt working users, until the light goes out! =)

luck,