List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font installer re-design
From:       "Manuel Amador \(Rudd-O\)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-04-24 14:48:27

Sarang Lakare wrote:

>Just a suggestion:
>
>>1. AFM? how many users would know what is AFM? my suggestion would be to
>>
>>2. Command to refresh fonts - I suggest that the radio button would be
>>

>Before you design a GUI, please take a few minutes to think from a
>non-technical-regular user's point of view. Although I am a power user of
>linux for several years now, I am still not able to guess what AFM could
>mean! "Command to refresh fonts" should be autodetected (as Hetz suggested)
>or put under "Advanced".

Should be autodetected and not show up even in Advanced.

You should take a look at DrakFont and see how easy it is to use.  That
should be your goal, only with a more streamlined UI.

> IMHO, there should be nothing in the default
>dialogue that is not "plain english" which a newbie can understand. Anything
>complex should go into "advanced".

Or shouldn't have the option at all.  Read Havoc Pennington's last
article on "setting creep" and bugs that appear on certain obscure
settings combinations.