List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-04-12 8:53:00

On Friday 12 April 2002 09:20, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Is it useful to have a global KDE infrastructure for hotplug signals (Qt
> style) like:
> "[New|Lost] [USB|1394|PCMCIA|IRDA|Serial|Parallel|Network]-Device
> [Name/ID]" I think we need this for pim programs like kitchensync, kandy
> etc.!?

Unfortunately Linux 2.4 lacks many capabilities neccessary for hotplugging.
For example the /sbin/hotplug notifications only give enough information to
load the devic driver, but this device driver won't tell you the major/minor
number it has taken. And you don't have stable ids for hotplug devices that
are still valid after re-plugging (so you can always mount the same disk at
the same mount point). And you cannot get the relationship between
multi-functional devices. For example many scanners have two or three
interfaces: image capture and HID (human interface devices, usually for
buttons like 'copy', 'scan'..). Right now there is now way to find out which
scanner device belongs to which HID device, nor do you know which model/brand
it is, so you cant know the button mapping.
I am very interrested in hotplugging support, but I would suggest to wait
until Linux 2.5 is a little bit more mature, because its new device driver
model will solve these problems.

bye...