List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Matthias =?iso-8859-1?q?H=F6lzer-Kl=FCpfel?= <mhk () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-13 8:40:17

On Friday 12 April 2002 09:20, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm playing a little bit with a smart integration of (usb) hotplugged
> devices in my KDE. I have treaked usb.agent a little bit so that e.g.
> usbcam for my digicam gets useful "add" and "remove" events. So here usbcam
> is the place where KDE integration take place.
>
> First question is: where is the right place in KDE where hotplug-devices
> (cameras, usb-mem sticks, IBM-microdrive, smardcards etc.) should
> (dis-)appear? I heard SuSE put it on the desktop but I think
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/konqsidebartng/virtual_folders/services/
> is the right place!? But how do I update the view of a running
> KonqSidebarTNG-Service plugin? There is no dcop interface for "scan for new
> services", or?
>
> I want to give all members of group-id "USB" access, so my event handler
> scans all users, check the group-id, check for a possible kde-installation
> and then copy a *.desktop-file into the servive-dir. But how do I find
> $KDEHOME of a potentially user, who is currently not logged-in?
>
> Is it useful to have a global KDE infrastructure for hotplug signals (Qt
> style) like:
> "[New|Lost] [USB|1394|PCMCIA|IRDA|Serial|Parallel|Network]-Device
> [Name/ID]" I think we need this for pim programs like kitchensync, kandy
> etc.!?

Thorsten,

Caldera OpenLinux has a tool called khotplugd, which will handle the GUI side
of hotplugging devices. I have rewritten it completely in the last weeks, and
it will apper in kdenonbeta soon. It is very flexible about what happens with
the devices that are plugged in, and the new version is not longer COL
specific. It needs some work for the detection of hotplug events, but I hope
that this will be solved soon ;)

Bye,
Matthias.