List:       kde-devel
Subject:    hotplug devices (scripting questions)
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-04-12 7:20:30

Hi!

I'm playing a little bit with a smart integration of (usb) hotplugged devices
in my KDE. I have treaked usb.agent a little bit so that e.g. usbcam for my
digicam gets useful "add" and "remove" events. So here usbcam is the place
where KDE integration take place.

First question is: where is the right place in KDE where hotplug-devices
(cameras, usb-mem sticks, IBM-microdrive, smardcards etc.) should
(dis-)appear? I heard SuSE put it on the desktop but I think
$KDEHOME/share/apps/konqsidebartng/virtual_folders/services/
is the right place!? But how do I update the view of a running
KonqSidebarTNG-Service plugin? There is no dcop interface for "scan for new
services", or?

I want to give all members of group-id "USB" access, so my event handler scans
all users, check the group-id, check for a possible kde-installation and then
copy a *.desktop-file into the servive-dir. But how do I find $KDEHOME of a
potentially user, who is currently not logged-in?

Is it useful to have a global KDE infrastructure for hotplug signals (Qt
style) like:
"[New|Lost] [USB|1394|PCMCIA|IRDA|Serial|Parallel|Network]-Device [Name/ID]"
I think we need this for pim programs like kitchensync, kandy etc.!?

Bye

  Thorsten