List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konqueror speed question/proposal
From:       "Mechant, R. \(Reinout\)" <Reinout.Mechant () vde ! akzonobel ! com>
Date:       2002-04-11 13:47:12

Hi all,

first of all, I'm really happy with the speed of kde3!
But ... (luckily there are still buts because otherwise development would
stop!)

Although the idea of using konqueror as filebrowser is a good idea, some
changes might be needed!
When I compare the time of startup between konqueror as a webbrowser and
konqueror as a filebrowser (as in clicking on home on the desktop), the time
consumption is the same. On my machine it is between 3 and 4 second.
Now, however this is fast for konq as webbrowser, it is really slow for konq
as filebrowser!
Changing the preview options, by means of unselecting everything, doesn't
change the speed.

My question: What is the difference in the modules/libs to be loaded between
konq as webbrowser and konq as filebrowser?

My proposal: If there is a difference, isn't it possible to only load the
modules for filebrowsing if konq is started as a filebrowser. In case
somebody enters then a http url in the location box, then load the modules
for webbrowsing.

Ofcourse, is it possible?

Kind regards,

Reno