List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developers, get paid for your work!?
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-16 15:51:12

> On the client side, there are no cost except the internet connection.

interesting interpretation of the facts ...
cpu power consumption in watts:
model   idle   full load
celeron   5      25
p3        10     50
p4        10     70
athlon    30     70
these are only rough estimations, obviously.
so 50 watts difference are quite realistic on modern cpus (unless you
have one from the company too incompetent to implement a working hlt
instruction). assuming, that a typical box is running 5h/d, that makes up
1 kwh/4 days. i leave it up to the individual to decide whether this is
"no cost".
the difference is "somewhat" smaller, if you have some non-stop cpu hog
running (like a non-idle arts daemon, games, etc.) and therefore burn
cycles anyway.

not that i'm against that whole idea, but the "end providers" should be
informed about it. and the computing power should not be sold too cheap
to commercial users.

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.