List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developers, get paid for your work!?
From:       Erik Sigra <sigra () home ! se>
Date:       2002-03-17 1:03:40

lördagen den 16 mars 2002 16.51 skrev Oswald Buddenhagen:
> > On the client side, there are no cost except the internet connection.
>
> interesting interpretation of the facts ...
> cpu power consumption in watts:
> model   idle   full load
> celeron   5      25
> p3        10     50
> p4        10     70
> athlon    30     70
> these are only rough estimations, obviously.
> so 50 watts difference are quite realistic on modern cpus (unless you
> have one from the company too incompetent to implement a working hlt
> instruction). assuming, that a typical box is running 5h/d, that makes up
> 1 kwh/4 days. i leave it up to the individual to decide whether this is
> "no cost".
> the difference is "somewhat" smaller, if you have some non-stop cpu hog
> running (like a non-idle arts daemon, games, etc.) and therefore burn
> cycles anyway.
>
> not that i'm against that whole idea, but the "end providers" should be
> informed about it. and the computing power should not be sold too cheap
> to commercial users.

But many people live in apartments with flatrate on electricity. This is the
case for me from 2000-02 to the end of this month. It is common in student
homes.

Then there are a lot of people who heat their homes with electricity. They
could just as well make some computations as a byproduct of the heating.